Frailty is a vulnerability due to an alteration of organism's homeostatic reserves, which becomes unable to overcome any stress.
The following tool allows evaluation of the frail phenotype according to Fried et al (J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001)
Evaluation of 5 dimensions (see table below)
- 0, 1 or 2 pathological dimensions = Not frail
- 3, 4 or 5 pathological dimensions = Frail
Two methodologies are provided for the evaluation of Fried's Fragile phenotype (Courivaud et al, in press)
- Method 1 based solely on questionnaires (MNA questionnaire Mini Nutritional Assessment - Short Form and KDQOL-SF™ Kidney Disease and Quality of Life questionnaire)
- Method 2 using questionnaires and 2 tools to characterize 2 physical functional dimensions (Handgrip and gait speed test).
Frailty score results for each method are made available based on the items entered, as well as the scores for each dimension filled out on the KDQOL-SF.
Methods to assess Frailty Status (Fried's definition)
* Question for low physical activity assessment:
How often do you estimate that you exercise (in your leisure time)?
- Every day or almost every day?
- 4 to 5 times a week?
- 2 to 3 times a week?
- About once a week?
- Less than once a week?
- Almost never or never ?
Only the answer “Almost never or never" allows you to check No to the physical activity assessment
KDQOL is reproduced here (in part or in its entirety) with permission from the RAND Corporation. Copyright © the RAND Corporation. RAND's permission to reproduce the survey is not an endorsement of the products, services, or other uses in which the survey appears or is applied.
Prediction tools are designed to help physicians to predict patient’s risk profile and individual prognosis that may help to guide clinical management. They may also be used by researchers to optimize the design of future clinical trials and thus to ensure well-balanced arms for risk profile.
If you are a patient, we recommend that you use these tools only in consultation with your healthcare provider.I accept all of the above terms by clicking here or by any further use of this service.